Friday, February 18, 2011

Review: Loving Helen An Erotic Story of Lesbian Submission By Liv Nilsson



This is the first (short) story that I've purchased for the Kindle, and it was frankly very anemic, offering (I hope), the bottom of the barrel of Kindle experiences for 99 cents. The text is clean and free of errors, but it's short, and almost all narrative summary, along the lines of: They fucked. She had two orgasms. It was awesome and wonderful. Her bum was lovely.

In fact, about 50% of the already very modest file is made up of advertisements for more "Spectrum Diva" products. No thanks. Of course I won't be so foolish as to throw out the baby with the bathwater, but I'll use care before purchasing another Spectrum Diva smidgen of smut. I'm not sure if I'd even call this smut, because the intent does not seem to be to arouse or even fulfill the expectations of any genre whatsoever.

I've critiqued many erotic stories over the past decade. My honest impression is that Liv Nilsson is not entirely an amateur writer. She understands the essentials of writing a story. I suspect that if she actually wanted to make the effort, she could write great things that would delight people. My overall impression here is that she did not choose to do that, and the goal instead was to write X words to make a buck or two.

It's possible that Liv has better work on Kindle, and if so I'd love to see it and give her another chance. For now she has lost me as a customer with this offering.

No comments:

Post a Comment